Saturday, July 30, 2011

Update on Tale of Two Veterans

We received the following information by email from "Our Veteran", the Veteran whose claim file had been security sealed for 8 years without his knowledge.

We thought you readers should know what happened. Our Veteran wrote:

"I sent your blog to our Congressman, and 4 people from his office in DC, including his Chief of Staff, in response to our action, drove directly today [Friday] to the VA building in DC, stood in front of a high person's desk, and said, "How long do you think it will take to rate this terminal vet's claim?", showing them a doctor's letter and other items from June 20, 2003.

"The VA bigwig was indeed able to open the file!! The bigwig, eyes bugged out, said, "Can you give us two weeks?" And there WERE timely claims and appeals in 'Our Veteran's' file, after all. Imagine that! Hmm.

"The pen is mightier than the sword -- sometimes."

Sometimes it is. But in this case it is the 'sword' that was wielded by Our Veteran's Congressman's office. Here's hoping the DVA does the right thing and give's this Veteran back his life.

Over the past 8 years, they have lost almost everything they own spending their money on medical bills trying to keep Our Veteran alive.

They deserve better. So do all our Veterans. So does our Country.

VNVets

”It is a stain on this nation's honor that the Department of Veterans Affairs has become a deadlier and more difficult adversary to the American veteran than any they have ever faced on a battlefield."-- VNVets

"The concept that Agent Orange, and its effects, stopped dead in its tracks at the shoreline is simply too illogical, and too ludicrous to accept. What does that say about the Obama Administration and his Department of Veterans Affairs?"--VNVets

"With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations." --President Abraham Lincoln

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."--President George Washington

Copyright © 2005-2011: VNVets Blog -- Now in our Seventh Year of Service to Veterans; All Rights Reserved. Reprinting or copying of the contents of this blog without the express permission of the author is unlawful.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:07

    As a VN Vet I am glad to see that something was done in this case. As with all of use in the middle of a war with the VA over our legitimate claims we find ourselves left with mostly more questions than answers.

    I have been waiting 8 months on my claim for Ischemic heart , which led to Ischemic bowel were I lost all of my large intestine, Prostate cancer of which I lost my prostate and our sex life, and Peripheral Neuropathy. in both my legs. I live basically a life of solitary confinement. I would like to know what if anything happened to the other letter written by the VA person. Speaking about being given one order, only to have his immediate supervisor tell them to find any little thing to deny.

    I have to deal with the Tampa FL VA which as I understand it has one of if not the lowest approval rate in the country. I hope we can all get the VA to do their jobs and let us go on with what life we have left.
    I did get a letter last week telling my that as far as my Ischemic heart was concerned they approved it for 10% which they added to my already 130% disability and check deposited for $309.00 which is what they say is the retroactive due me. From 1987 when I had my second Ischemic MI.No SMC was awarded for my heart. Guess its not considered an Organ of any importance to the VA. Good work to this site for keeping us up to date. I enjoy information and articles, as well as despair over what I and many of my Vet friends have to go through.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ischemic Heart Disease claims must be filed prior to 30 Augist, 2011 in order to qwualify for the extra year of retroactive benefits.

    Your claim was filed before that deadline, so your benefits should go back to a date one year prior to your original claim for Ischemic Heart disease.

    Please check to see if your benefits paid covers that extra year.

    This year of retroactivity covers the other two new diseases: hairy cell leukemia, and Parkinson's. It also covers Diabetes Mellitus Type II.

    VNVets

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as the other Vet, the VA emplyee, there are things in the works, but they will take longer. We will keep you posted as things happen.

    VNVets

    ReplyDelete